Monday, August 5, 2013

HGTV



Back in 20011 I purchased my first home at the age of 25. Homeownership was foreign territory for me but I was ready and anxious to embark on the journey. I moved into my home and began doing things around the house to make it my own. I went out bought all the necessary appliances, lawn mower, and many different miscellaneous necessities. It was around this time that I got into HGTV. Of their many shows, House Hunters quickly became a favorite. Even though it has been revealed that the show is scripted, it still interested me. One of the things that really interested me is the way the entire network runs its channel as a business. They are marketing for a very specific group and all their ads have something to do with homes.

Things like exchange value are evident in shows like House Hunters. This is the value of good in the market. Every time before an offer is put in on a property, a fair market analysis is done to give the potential owner a general idea what a good offer to make would be. Based off of this exchange value, the purchasers submit an offer and wait to hear back from the realtor. HGTV is a prime example of niche marketing. This is the marketing of things specifically to different groups in different ways, and creating programs that do the same. The network has shows that target males and females alike. HGTV airs shows from fashion, to design, to contractor shows. Some examples of this are Property Brothers, Design Star, and Holmes on Homes. These shows target different groups of people all in the same industry. Business of media is clearly evident in networks like HGTV. It’s always nice to see programs like this on TV instead of the typical shows on other networks that focus on selling sexuality to the general public.

No comments:

Post a Comment